Want to work with a great team on a dynamic programme of outdoor arts events?
Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA) is an exciting arts charity formed in 2012. Our mission is to bring people together, to have shared magical experiences, by transforming places, hearts, and minds.
About the job
The DOCA Director will manage our dedicated team to ensure that our respected program of events is delivered safely and effectively. In addition, they will work with the Board of Trustees, our partners and the community at large to lead the organisation into its exciting next stage of development.
- The Director will be a dynamic, enthusiastic, inspiring leader with a strong knowledge of the arts and fundraising. They will work with the Trustees and the DOCA family to take the organisation into its next stage of development, including the management and development of the new artistic and community hub based in Parnella House, which is right in the centre of Devizes.
- The successful candidate will be a capable and pragmatic person, managing the existing team and ensuring the popular and respected program of events are delivered safely and effectively.
- The candidate will also have considerable management experience and a passion for contemporary outdoor arts, processional events and working with communities. They will be efficient at budgeting and adept at communicating at all levels. Inclusivity will be at the heart of everything they do.
- This role will be based in Parnella House, Devizes, especially during events, but will also accommodate home working.
- A two-day Street Festival in April/May with International and National Street Performers, a large street food market and makers market.
- Picnic in Park, an afternoon of bands, community stalls artist led workshops
- Carnival with artist-led costume and dance workshops.
- Confetti Battle and Colour Rush
- Winter Ales Festival – a fundraiser with bands and cabaret
- Winter Festival and Lantern Parade – a large participatory of lantern making workshops leading up to a lantern parade, lighting installations and a two-day indoor and outdoor market.
- Occasional indoor performances and events
The team consists of a board of trustees and volunteers working with the Director, an Assistant Director & Production Manager, a Creative Producer, and a Business & Event Support worker.
- Confident and supportive leader who can inspire and motivate others.
- Have a passion and a flair for Outdoor Arts and desire to encourage development.
- Proven ability to work in partnership with funding partners such as the Arts Council, local authorities and others.
- Experience and knowledge of Outdoor Arts and mass audience participation.
- Knowledge and understanding of breadth of fundraising and income generation.
- Strong organisational, budgeting, strategic planning, and resource management skills.
- Management of staff and volunteers and ability to work with a voluntary Trustee Board.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of education and community work.
- Outstanding analytical, communication, advocacy and presentation skills.
- Raise funds at all levels.
- Write grant applications.
- Manage and develop the new artistic and community hub in the centre of Devizes.
- Manage the team to deliver all events and core activities.
- Work with the Board of Trustees to define the overall strategy and direction for the team.
- Build and maintain good relationships with other outdoor arts organizations, partners and industry specialists.
- Work with the DOCA Treasurer to set budgets.
- Champion originality, diversity and collaboration.
- Keep up to date with current legislation and best practice.
- Engage a wide range of local people in creative learning and participatory opportunities.
- Support the team in delivery of the highest quality of artistic performance available within the agreed budget.
- Act as an ambassador for DOCA
Job Title: Director.
Hours: 30 per week, although when extra hours are required, particularly near events, they will be paid at normal day rate.
Salary: £28,390 per year (£35,490 full time equivalent).
Pension: 3% of gross salary contributed by DOCA to The People’s Pension.
Bonus: 20% of any extra income generated from Parnella House.
Holiday: 22.4 days (28 days full time equivalent) per holiday year, plus 8 days Bank Holiday.
Location: Parnella House Devizes, plus home working.
Closing date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Contact name: Cliff Evans.