Can you make artistic decisions to create great arts events and workshops?
Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA) is an exciting arts charity formed in 2012. Our mission is to bring people together, to have shared magical experiences, by transforming places, hearts, and minds.
About the job
The Creative Producer will be responsible for all artistic decisions as they create and produce all DOCA events and workshops. They will contract artists and performers from across the UK and Europe to do that, and their event workshops will put them at the heart of local community.
- Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA) is an exciting arts charity formed in 2012. Our mission is to bring people together to have shared magical experiences, by transforming places, hearts, and minds.
- The Creative Producer will be a confident, ambitious person with an eye for artistic talent and quality entertainment. In this job they will relish the opportunity to put their own creative stamp on our popular and respected program of events, whilst respecting the long-standing traditions associated with some of them.
- The candidate should have experience of managing performers and event workshops, and a passion for contemporary outdoor performance arts. Experience of traditional Carnival and Street Theatre would be beneficial, but a determination to find new innovative acts to expand on this is essential.
- Our ideal person will be a good communicator at all levels. They will have a talent for nurturing partnerships, have a good understanding of the broader arts landscape in the area and inclusivity and sustainability must be at the heart of everything they do.
- This role would be partly home working and also based in Parnella House, Devizes especially during events.
- A two-day Street Festival in April/May with International and National Street Performers, a large street food market and makers market.
- Picnic in Park, an afternoon of bands, community stalls artist led workshops
- Carnival with artist-led costume and dance workshops.
- Confetti Battle and Colour Rush
- Winter Ales Festival – a fundraiser with bands and cabaret
- Winter Festival and Lantern Parade – a large participatory of lantern making workshops leading up to a lantern parade, lighting installations and a two-day indoor and outdoor market.
- Occasional indoor performances and events
The team consists of a board of trustees and volunteers working with the Director, an Assistant Director & Production Manager, a Creative Producer, and a Business & Event Support worker.
- Strong desire to encourage the development of Outdoor Arts.
- Experience of mass audience event participation
- Have confidence and be able to inspire and motivate artists, performers, community groups and individuals.
- Ability to work with a range of community groups, particularly schools, and to encourage participation in DOCA’s events.
- Knowledge of budget management, artistic contract negotiation, risk management and resource management skills
- Knowledge and understanding of education and community work
- Be a supportive, willing, cooperative, innovative and enthusiastic DOCA team member.
- Have the ability to champion originality, safety, risk mitigation, diversity, sustainability and collaboration.
- Build on our event framework by finding innovative new artists and performers, creating an exciting and distinctive programme of events and activities to reach out to the broadest possible audience.
- Be responsible for artistic decision making for all events and core activities,
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in the carnival and street festival world, maintaining working links with both artists and other festival professionals.
- Be responsible for setting up and coordinating artist-led training workshops in carnival skills and street arts, and engaging a wide range of local people in creative learning and participatory opportunities.
- Contribute to marketing and communications and the design of publicity and marketing materials.
- Take responsibility for the artistic quality of events and provide best value within allocated budgets.
- Be innovative and creative in programme planning and presentation, and to develop new artistic partnerships.
Job Title: Creative Producer.
Hours: 15 per week, although when extra hours are required, particularly near events, they will be paid at normal day rate.
Salary: £11,700 (£29,250 full time equivalent).
Pension: 3% of gross salary contributed by DOCA to The People’s Pension.
Holiday: 11.2 days (28 days full time equivalent) per holiday year, plus 8 days Bank Holiday.
Location: Parnella House Devizes, plus home working.
Closing date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact name: Cliff Evans.